Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2017

What is on her shelf right now!

We are Montessorians.  Which means we follow the Montessori method.  So every few weeks, right now anyway, I am changing out baby girl's shelf of materials. 

This is what is on her shelf right now. 

I am not a professional photographer... and baby girl loves to be in pictures...

So this is her current shelf.  On top is just a couple pictures of herself and her piggy bank, so I didn't include the top. 

So on the top shelf there you can see there is:

A nested rainbow stacking toy.  We got this at Wal-Mart last year and to be quite honest, I have no clue what it is called.  I cannot find it on their website either.  If I do find it, I will update this with the exact name. 

Melissa and Doug stack and sort board.  I've had this for years, from way back when it was in my classroom at daycare.  It is durable and other than some chipping paint, it has held up well to use and abuse by many toddlers!  It is still a bit advanced for where baby girl is right now, but she's getting better at it daily.

Melissa and Doug animal large knobbed puzzle.  This is not my favorite, to be honest.  The pictures are already coming off from when baby girl was gumming it before teeth and it's just not held up as well as I had hoped.  Perhaps it's not meant for teething babies, but honestly it should be better put together.  Baby girl has just started showing an interest in puzzles. 

On the bottom shelf:

Melissa and Doug First Bead Maze.  I love this.  It has suction cups on the bottom, but they are crap.  Baby girl has been enthralled with this toy since she got it at 6 months old.  It is perfect and still played with daily.  I am a huge fan of these type of toys for fine motor skills.  She is currently taking one finger and running each individual bead through the maze.  Amazing concentration.

Manhattan Toy Skwish Natural Rattle and Teether Grasping Activity Toy.  Say that ten times fast!  Baby girl got this rattle when she was about 6 months old.  I am very science based and knew we would need practical teething toys that would fit the Montessori ideology.  To that end we found a natural wood teether that worked well.  She is 19 months old now and still loves this thing.  She likes to shake it and feel the beads hit her hands. 

Melissa and Doug abacus.  I had put this toy up for a long time because baby girl didn't seem to ever want to play with it.  It came back on the shelves a few days ago and she has found a new love for this toy.  She will sit and move the beads back and forth until she is forced to stop.  It is awesome to see her love it when I was fearful it was a waste of money. 


As you can see, we are huge Melissa and Doug fans.  We find their toys so practical and nicely priced. 

This is not the only things in her room or that she has access to, least every think I am keeping my child from toys.  In the living room she has 2 types of blocks and a million dollies and blankets.  In her room there is also a tent with a bazillion stuffed animals and books.  It is supposed to be for reading, but well, this picture shows you her favorite activity with the tent currently...




Ahh to have the imagination to once again think of yourself as Godzilla, destroying the towns below you. 

Her closet is also full of toys we rotate in and out as she loses interest in her current selection. I rotate about every 3 or 4 weeks right now.  She never stays on one thing too long.

We also have sensory bins and a toy kitchen for her.  She is loaded to the max with fun things she can do all day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment