Pages

Monday, March 6, 2017

My child is not advanced

And I'm okay with that.

We live in a culture where everyone wants to believe their child is the smartest that ever lived and understands things way beyond their actual level.  I read about it all the time in parenting groups.  The poster makes a statement about how they are using this technique, then follows it up with "not to brag, but little timmy is very advanced for his age" and I cringe.  Every time.

It's like we cannot accept that our children aren't some savant who should be practically perfect in every way. 

I reject that notion. 

My child is right where she needs to be.  She can identify the color green, her absolute favorite, and still poops in her diapers.  She runs away from me at playgrounds when she doesn't want to leave and she doesn't understand a word of my long winded explanation about why we cannot spend our days watching Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street.  I like to think she gets it, but let's be real here, she doesn't.  And that's okay.

That's the point.

It is okay that my daughter is 19 months old and at a 19 month old level. 

In fact, I encourage it! 

Children are only children once in their lives.  Why push them to be more than they are?  Why tell everyone that your kid is different?  Just let them be.

Could your kid be the next Ainan Celeste Cawley or Elise Tan Roberts absolutely! But let's be honest, it's not likely.  And that is okay! 

Embrace your child where they are. 


She fell down running away from me at the park.  That's my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment