Pages

Monday, January 15, 2018

planning the garden

I am so excited to get to pour over my new seed catalogue!  We are growing for the first time at our new house and that means a new challenge in learning our hardiness zone and what actually grows here.


It took me a few weeks, but after consulting with everyone, I ordered our seeds!

I am so stoked to get this part going.  I mean, sure, I still have to clear the gardens out.  Measure soil levels and probably replace quite a bit.  Create rabbit fencing.  Check the sprinklers to make sure they even work anymore.  And a whole host of other things.

But we are growing this year if it kills us!

Okay, that might be a little dramatic.

But we are growing this year.  The package arrived today for the seeds!

 Look at them, all bundled up in there!

It doesn't look like much, but I'm hopeful it's enough to get us started.

This is our first year gardening here and it's gonna be a make or break year for me I'm feeling.  I need this garden to work at least a little bit!
Maybe it's more than I thought... haha!

But this is only a portion of the fresh foods we'll eat!

There are also no sweet fruits in here.  Though I did order some blackberry bushes, but they won't be delivered until much later in the year, when it's time!



This is our overview!


So to break down all we got.

In these two rows, starting in the top left corner and going DOWN then starting at the top again.

Bullnose sweet peppers, butter crunch lettuce, Australian brown onion, Orangegelo Watermelon

Carentan Leek, Amish Melon, Strawberry watermelon, Landreth stingless bush beans

Glory of enkhuizen cabbage, Cherokee purple tomatoes, Purple dragon carrots, chives

Waltham butternut squash, Arikara sunflowers, Cherokee trail of tears beans, buttercruch lettuce (another pack... I only ordered one.  So bonus!)


And the last column is:

Danvers 126 half long carrots, giant noble spinach, half long guernasy parsnips, delicacy white kohlrabi
















How delicious is our garden going to be this year?!!!

On top of that, Baker's Creek seeds sent us three "free gift" seed packets.

 
For us they sent: Brunswick cabbage, Black Vernissage tomatoes, and cosmic purple carrots!

How awesome is that?  THREE free food stuffs.  I like free.  It's one of my favorite ways to pay for things.

So now that we have the seeds and I am reading up on how to keep them, it's time to get the garden into order.  

Or it will be, once it's warmer than 19 degrees outside!



No comments:

Post a Comment