Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Blackberry bushes

I finally planted something in our newly weeded garden.

Blackberry bushes we got as live plants!

Look at them!  All grouped there looking so pretty.

We decided to order just one fruiting bush this year, and thornless blackberries seemed to be the best option for us.

We ordered from Baker's Creek and could not be happier.


We ended up with three different types.  This one is the Von blackberry bush.  It's a thornless out of NC and should grow well in our region!  It's supposedly mildly sweet but a good producer.  


This on is the sweetie pie, and you can also see my sweetie pie in the picture!  This one is supposed to be the sweetest blackberry on the market with 10-12% sugar content!  I am hopeful these will be good to make into pies or create jam from.

Finally we have the triple crown.

These plants are known for their huge berries and just general hardiness.  From what I have read, these are hard to kill and easy to pick and maintain.


I am super excited giving these bushes a try.  My understanding of growing blackberries is severely limited, as in I've never done this before!  But there is a lot of great information on the internet and I'm really hopeful to have a good production... in a year or so.  Apparently blackberries don't really produce their first year.


No comments:

Post a Comment