Pages

Monday, April 30, 2018

Getting tomatoes in the ground!

So our Earth Day was spent planting our tomatoes.

It was an absolute BLAST!

And hard work that had me sweating in 70 degree weather.

But we did it with only a few casualties of the toddler.

She was very helpful though, when she wanted to be.

And when she didn't, I set up some bamboo sticks and gave her one and she was content to smack the other sticks since they sway and bend pretty easily.

All in all, I am excited for what is to come from our maters!

Here we are getting everything set up.  I measured and used the smaller bamboo sticks I had to put down where I needed to plant the tomatoes.  I alternated each post between the Black Vernissage and the Cherokee Purple


All my future supplies.  And the garden soil I was using to mix into the bed.  The soil in the raised bed is the same red clay we have all over the yard here.  So I got a couple different seed mixes to mix in with it to actually plant the plants with (all of them, not just the tomatoes).  


Moving along swimmingly!  About half were planted by this point.


And my little helper took a break to play a bit!  She helped her daddy get some raspberry brambles chopped down and put out for yard waste.


Done with planting!  It took waaay too long to finish, but hey, it was done!


Mulched and staked.  Ready to tie the tops of the bamboos together for the tomato cage!  And yes, I do plan to mulch in between, but I ran out of mulch.  I wanted to outline the plants first because that is how we show baby girl where she can and cannot step.


All tied and ready to go.

I still need to put the cross bars on the cages.  But I just ran out of time today.  They were then watered and we were done.


Still to do for these?  Basically I am going tomorrow to get mulch.  Or if not tomorrow then a day it doesn't rain.  And I need to spread mulch from the first row of tomatoes all the way out to the edge of the garden around the blackberries.  I am hopeful that will cut down on the volunteer strawberry plants we have still coming up despite weeding them constantly!

Our food is shaping up nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment