Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Garden update

We planted something!

Outside!

It wasn't exactly how we thought we'd be planting right now, but hey, life happens.

We originally planned to start out cabbage seeds indoors.  Get them nice and big.  Then transplant.  And that would be our first thing outdoors.

Yeah, those poor cabbages got leggy.

Then root rot.

Then died.

So we had to change the plans!

It became decided that I would just throw everything in the ground and see what survived.

Well, not everything!

Everything that can be planted with the fear of a frost still looming.

So That's what I did.

I set out to just get some basics in the ground.  After looking at what I planned, then realizing it didn't mesh with the space that I had, I again changed a few plans.  I opted to do just one row of cabbages.  Well, one 12x12 square.

Yeah, we are trying square foot gardening right now.  Because it made sense!

Anyway, put in just 4 cabbages.  If they grow, GREAT, I'll plant some in the fall and we'll have a bigger yield.


So from there I also put in my lettuce, 2 squares, and my carrots, 3 types in 5 squares.  That's what you see in the above picture.

To round out my first planting, I put in parsnips, onions, spinach, and kohlrabi, 2 squares each.





So there we have it!  The first of the garden is actually planted!

I have no clue what will grow.  I am watching over it pretty carefully.  The kiddo is helping in her own special way!  And we are watering it.

I am excited to see what happens with this and to move on to the end of the month when I can put in our tomato plants and pepper plants and all the other stuffs that I have ready to go into the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment