Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

OMG, what if she grows up to be a lesbian?!

I swear I have the best conversations online.  I mean, where do these people hide off the internet?  How do they function in society?  Do they lack a filter face to face as well?

Tonight I was perusing the internet parenting groups I am a part of, just enjoying my superiority as a parent*, when I ended up in a conversation about why gay people shouldn't raise children.  I often weigh into these conversations, being a real life gay guy raising a real life little girl with my real life husband.  (I swear he's real... I promise!)  I feel like I need to speak up because I actually live it, every day of my life. 

Future lesbian learning to cook?
Who knows!!!
So anyway, this woman was saying things like "Well, who will she talk to about her period?"  Me.  Or her dad.  We know how the body works and what we don't know, we have woman friends who can answer questions.

"Who is going to take her to buy her first bra?"  Her dad.  Yes, him.  That's all him.

"What if she grows up to be a lesbian?!" 

And this one gave me pause.  Did she really just ask me how I would handle my daughter growing up to be homosexual?  Really?  Really really?

So I enquire a bit more.  "What do you mean?"

"Well, you don't like women, so are you going to be able to handle your daughter liking women?  I mean, you are gay..."

I'm gay?!  REALLY?!  I never knew!

All snark aside I seriously sat here and laughed for 15 minutes.  You just asked me if I would be okay with my daughter liking women because as a gay man I don't sleep with women.  Are you fucking serious? 

Oh she was serious.  So very serious. 

So just in case anyone is wondering, I am totally okay with my daughter being a lesbian.  I could not care less who my daughter is sexually or romantically attracted to.  I promise.  I don't care. 



Oh yeah.. *please note the overwhelming sarcasm of his statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment