Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2017

But Grandma Tala says not to listen...

So one of the weirdest Moana controversies I've read about is the theory that Grandma Tala tells Moana to ignore her father and do whatever she wants.

I can't understand how anyone could feel that way.


The lyrics of the song that people say have the offensive idea in it is :

You are your father's daughter
Stubbornness and pride
Mind what he says but remember
you may hear a voice inside
and when that voice starts to whisper
to follow the farthest star
Moana that voice inside is who you are.


Think about that line!  How amazing to get that wisdom from your grandmother.

Listen to your parents, but someday you'll begin to hear your own voice. So follow that voice.

And yet people complain that she's telling Moana to not listen to her parents.


I kind of want to scream when I hear that!  It's like people just refuse to pay attention to what is actually being said so they can feed their own ideology.

hmmmm...

I hope some day my daughter stops listening me because she's found her voice inside.

I hope some day my daughter realizes that she has her own driving force for why she does what she does!

How awesome.  How exciting.

This is the goal.  To be able to say "what do you think you should do?" and giving her the gift of self regulation.

So people, please stop maligning Moana over your inability to understand the underlying morals that are being taught.

And Baby girl, please grow up to listen to your inner voice!


No comments:

Post a Comment