Pages

Monday, March 12, 2018

Started our first seedlings!

I am super happy to get moving on the garden.

With having a longer growing season i realize that I have no clue what I'm doing and probably should have started some of my seeds weeks ago.

All well, I didn't.

So I started a few of them yesterday!  And that's fine.


I am also going to hedge my bets a bit and also do a few seeds straight in the garden.

That is, after we get that garden cleaned out.  The amount of buildup in that garden is very very gross.  And absolutely needs to be cleaned out.


Baby girl is very excited to get started.  She went up to the seeds at least 3 times today to tell them they are gonna be food soon.

That's my girl.

So you can see the first picture is our setup!

Here are a few more detailed pictures!




Cute little cabbage seedlings!  This is 16 containers holding Leeks, bell peppers, and 2 different kinds of cabbage.  As of now, the cabbage is still the only thing that has sprouted.

The set up with the grow lights!  Both trays just hanging out under the grow lights, doing their things, being seeds and all.  Also have a fan blowing above the seedlings in order to keep air flow at a maximum.  I am not sure if it's doing anything awesomely or not, but it was suggested so I'm trying it!



And my tomato seedlings!  Look how big they've gotten!  There are two types there, Cherokee purple and Black vernissage and both seedlings are doing relatively well! I am so excited to get them transplanted into the garden in a few weeks, when temps are higher over night.  I think they are going to thrive here!  


My only problem with the garden?  My cabbage seedlings have fallen over.  The suggested remedy was the grow light, saying they became leggy probably from lack of light.  There are two seedlings standing tall, but even the ones that have emerged after I got the light have fallen over.  And my pepper and leek seeds haven't really done much, but I'm thinking they have a longer germination period.  I am mostly concerned about those damn cabbage seeds and how I can help them.   

If you have any suggestions, please drop a comment.  I want them to do well, but they just seem unhappy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment