Pages

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Activist baby

Probably her favorite outfit in her wardrobe.  I swear
she wears it weekly! 
I was pondering the other day on Facebook if I had too many Pridewear stuff for my kiddo.  Granted, I do plan to raise little activists, because we need more, but I also want to be respectful of her choices. 

So this week I paid really close attention to the items of clothing she chose all on her own.  I wanted to see if she would pick the stuff I consider pridewear, or if she picked the other stuff.

I wasn't all that surprised in my findings.  But it did make me happy.  She chooses rainbows and other pridewear about 50% of the time.  On her own.  Amongst way more choices than any 1 year old should have. 

I think sometimes we can get bogged down with the idea that we are doing something our children don't like, or won't like. I sometimes wonder if straight parents have these same feelings.  Has a straight parent ever said "ohh, I need to make sure my child wears more rainbows.  I think I'm dressing her too straight"?  I really doubt it. 

So why do we over think?

Society.  The conditioning and constant "don't shove it down our throats" take a toll on you.

Lounging at a big box store.  Non pridewear but one of her
fave outfits!
Are you doing too much?  Are you forcing your personal beliefs on everyone, including your children? 

Well, everyone does actually.  Every single thing our children learn in their early years is because we choose to teach them that.  So of course I'm teaching baby girl that her daddies are perfectly normal and acceptable, even if sometimes society doesn't see it that way. 

And just like everyone dresses their child in a favorite color or character, I'm dressing our child in a very prideful way.  It just happens to be gay pride. 

And I'm okay with that. 

Because like I said, I am hopeful to raise an activist, who will not just sit on the sidelines and watch injustice, but who will speak up. 

She doesn't have to be front and center at rallies, or marches, or protests.  But I am hopeful that as she sees shit in her daily life, she will speak up. 

Love makes a family.  So true.
I am hopeful that she will never let her voice be silenced just because she is passionate about something, no matter what that is. 

If I can raise her to be twice as outspoken as I am, then I feel like I have done my job to make the world a better place.  Which is the ultimate goal anyway, right? 

So here's to our activist children.  Making the world a better place one well placed piece of pridewear at a time. 
This is a new outfit.  Her shirt says "I <3 my dads"
and her leggings are (red) leggings for HIV/AIDS
research.  She did not choose his outfit, but it's still perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment