Pages

Monday, June 26, 2017

When citizens attack...

Have you ever had someone physically grab you and demand if you are your child's parent?

Yeah, I have.

And it happened at McDonalds.  Of all places.  Or maybe the perfect place to snatch a kid if you are a creep?  Who knows.

Either way, I'm putting this out there so people see some of the shit that doesn't get talked about with gay parenting.  The asinine amount of people who don't think your kid is yours.

So we were eating at McDonalds.  Myself, and 2 friends who both also had their kids.  They finished up early but we were still eating.  Their kids a 18months and 3, so sitting patiently is not their strong suit.  They went on ahead to toddler gym while I got baby girl settled to actually eat her lunch.

We were done, finally, and I tossed trash then grabbed baby girl to head up the street to gym.

Then it happened.

This woman, who I didn't even notice before the incident, came running up as I went to open the door.  Grabbing my left arm, which had my kid in it, whirled me around and demanded to know if I was allowed to take this kid somewhere.

What?

Excuse me?

Who the fuck are you?

I kinda stood there stunned for a minute.  Is this really happening?  Loudly in McDonalds?  Where we go WAY too often for this shit?  huh?

I stammered out that yes, I was her dad and we were leaving.  Instead of listening to me, this woman physically blocks my exit from McDonalds.

Now look, I'm not a big burly man... okay well I'm big but not burly.  I am also a pacifist who is rather non violent.  But she was really starting to piss even me off.

I kindly asked her to move, but I doubt she heard me over all her screaming.

"Where is her mother?"

"Are you legally related to her?"

"Where is her mother? Why is she not here?"

Because apparently being a stay at home father isn't a thing around these parts... and obviously her mother must be called immediately.

"She doesn't have a mother.  She's being raised by myself and my husband."  I try to be direct in these situations.  I mean, worse comes to worse she's a homophobe as well as an asshole.

She kept physically grabbing my arm and trying to prevent me from leaving.  All because my child is my child and she couldn't grasp a man having a child on his own.

"I'm going to call the cops!  Are you allowed to take this child?"  She kept screaming louder.

At one point the cashier that we typically deal with made the statement "Well he brings her in all the time", trying to defend me, which I appreciate.  But asshole lady was having none of it.

"Are you allowed to take her?!"

Finally I had enough.  Look, we all hit a breaking point.  My kid was clinging to me, out of fear, and I was thoroughly embarrassed... it was time to end this.

"Look trash, fuck off" was the last thing I said to her before pushing past her and going to the car.

Got baby girl in her seat and drove to toddler gym... and sat there for a minute texting with my husband.  Because I was shaking.  Because holy fuck.

My last text to him from that morning was "Yeah, pretty sure cops are gonna show up at our door..."  Because at that point, I was pretty sure she was calling the cops and giving my license plate number.  At least everyone at toddler gym knows me and can vouch for the fact that she is indeed my kid.

The cops never came... but man I was shook up for the rest of the day.  All because one woman wouldn't settle to listen.

And this is a part of gay parenting you don't often hear about.

Look, I completely understand being on the look out for child predators.  Paying attention so you can help someone in need is great for humanity.  But shouting and not listening... I mean, fuck.  What did she think?  I would drop the kid with her and run away?  I mean, really?  Even child predators aren't that stupid, and they are pretty stupid.

So the long story to give you a glimpse into life here.  It's not always pretty and fantastic.  It's sometimes scary as people grab you and scare your kid.  It's sometimes not okay in the slightest... and a reason why I won't go back to that eatery for a while.  Last thing I want to do is face the workers after that mess of a show.  I'm embarrassed... partly because of the woman and partly because I didn't know what to say or do to stop her.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry that happened to you. I am sorry you and your daughter ran so hard and fast into righteous bigotry. I'm sad that there is no good answer for one woman not being willing to crawl out of her own fear and paranoia long enough to listen; and making you suffer for it.

    ReplyDelete