Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Doing better (home edition)

So I always seem to think I'm doing great, then I look around and see so many ways I can do better.  My child is happy, but my home is a mess.

We moved a year ago in May.  Yet, we still have boxes.  Lots of boxes.  Everywhere.  We have an entire room we haven't even pretended to look at for the last year.  We have a garage that is still filled enough with boxes that we can only fit one car in there. 

It's ridiculous.  Positively ridiculous! 

So now I make a solemn vow to do better.  I'm publically putting my goal out there.  With the caveat that I do have an almost 2 year old, so let's be honest about expectations vs reality. 

Goals:

Set up the first floor office.

This is just one corner..
I long for a space to write that isn't my living room couch.  Though the couch is comfy, it really doesn't lead to proper posture or any way to write without a kiddo on my back. 

This space is meant to be set up as a multi use and function room.  It will be the home office, with a computer desk and the computers set up in here.  As well as our filing cabinet to take hold paperwork and hopefully our shiny new printer. 

It will also house our workout equipment and my craft area.  And possibly my husband's work area if he chooses to bring it in the house instead of having it out in the garage.  It's multi functional, which means it will be one of the hardest rooms to set up. 

Set up the media room upstairs.

Night time picture, but right now it's a toy yard.
We have a beautiful loft area we plan to use as a media room long term.  Short term it is currently a toy storage area, which works great right now!  But it does have loads of boxes that need to be dealt with.  My first round goal is to get storage units to store the movies and games we currently have, to get rid of all the moving boxes finally.  And to get some type of order for her toys that are up there.  They are fine to be there, but they don't need to be scattered everywhere.

Long term goals for this room won't be met in the time frame I'm working with here.  Those include putting up a projector and turning this area into our game room and multimedia room for movie nights with friends.  That is more 10 year plan! 

Set up the master bedroom finally.


It's a mess right now, but it's so bare.
So our bedroom has taken a back seat to everything else since we moved in.  We did have to buy a new bed, which is super cute and I love for our current needs.  But other than that, nothing has been done.  And it's bothering me.  I have such big plans for this room, plans that aren't unreasonable in the short term, but it takes time and effort.  None of which I'm currently putting in to anything. 

I would love to get this room reorganized and include a small reading nook by the window.  That is my dream.  To be able to sit next to the window in the morning and read a book.  Any book.  I realize this is a pipe dream with small children, but long term it's not unreasonable. 


So those are my three goals I'm putting out there for the next year of living here.  Sure, three goals sounds like a piece of cake, but the next year holds so much for our family that these goals are not even guaranteed to get done.  But I think if we work together and work hard, we can do it! 

At least I hope we can...

No comments:

Post a Comment