Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Pot roast in the dutch oven

I love cooking.

I think we have established that.

I also love pictures of things I cook.  I am not great at getting recipes together, but I am great at taking pictures while I do it so you can see what I mean by a pinch or whatever.

Pot roast in the dutch oven is one of my favorite meals.  I have zero clue why I made it this week... meat must have been on sale or something.  Usually I only make it in the winter... because it's warm and filling and perfect for a snowy winter's night!

But anyway, here is a step by step.  My recipe is super simple!


Start with browning your meat.  I put about a tablespoon of butter in the pan and threw the meat in on one side.  My meat was a little frozen still.  Don't forget to thaw your meat before supper...

While your meat is browning, take the time to slice your potatoes.  I love these little creamers.  They are so easy to split.  


Flip your meat!

Then my secret weapon...


This is honestly my favorite thing ever.  My cooking has changed since finding this stock base.  I highly recommend all their flavors to everyone!


So I had roughly 2 tablespoons left in this particular jar.  So that's what I used!

Melt it down in some hot tap water.  The jar says 1T to 1 cup water, so my almost 2T fit nicely in 2 cups of hot water.


Take your meat out and put it on a plate to rest.


Another case of using what we have on hand!  Along with those tiny creamer potatoes I used some baby carrots.  Husband takes those every day for work, so it's what I had in my kitchen!  Plus there's no prep work for them in this recipe!

Butter in the pot for the potatoes.

Potatoes in the pot.  I halved most of them, but some needed to be cut into thirds because they were too big.  Basically get them all the same size.  

Cook them until they look like this.  They are no where near done, but they got a little color, which means flavor!


Carrots in the pot!  Stir them around.  You just want to cook up a bit to release some of the carrots sweetness.  


Deglaze your pot with a bit of that yummy stock you made!  Basically pour a small amount in the bottom and then scrape to release any stuck on bits of meat or potatoes or carrots.  This is the flavor in the brown you always hear about.  





Make a little well in the potatoes and carrots and put your meat back in the pot.  Then use the rest of that stock to fill it up!  I tend to fill the pot roast up to almost covering.  


Bring it to a beautiful boil!


Lid on and in a 275 degree Fahrenheit over for a few hours.  Yes, I have no set time.  That depends on the size of your roast, beef or pork, and a bunch of other things!  This roast took about 5 hours to cook to tender.


Pull out the meat to slice it up!  Some people like to make their shredded, and that's perfectly okay!  It's yummy either way!


This was the kid plate for baby girl.  She ate exactly zero, but damn husband and I loved it!  It was so good and tender and the veggies were sweet and perfect.  

And the stock made the best ladle sauce ever.  

So there you have it!  Pot roast Parenting Life style!  

No comments:

Post a Comment